Saturday, February 24, 2007

I am me.

Today is my rest day. A day to recharge and recover. Spent a whole day reading and watching tv. Chanced upon this interview on a foreigner who's been living in Singapore for 8 yrs with his phillipino wife.

Well, besides being impressed with how well he melded into the culture of durians, local jokes, dialects and many others, what struck me the most is his philosophy of life - something ive always been looking for. Here's roughly what he said: " I am me. I am special. No one can be like me, and neither can i be like anyone. What i do is to just be myself. Whatever i do will influence not only how i think and feel inside, but also those people around me. "

What i liked about his philosophy is to just be himself. He does not try to be who he cannot be, or who people want him to be. That is really truth to oneself, something i think i should learn from. I see his passion for his work (even though just a sausage vendor), and his zest for life, and i was really touched by his sincerity in every action and word. "Home is where the heart is" thats what he replied on being away from his homeland for twenty odd years.

I admired his perspective on life. I should, too, stop thinking of what could have been, what might have happened, and just accept myself for who i really am. I should stop searching for my elusive ideal self, because ultimately it has been affected by past unexpected events and what i am now is what i have to work with for the future. Only when ive accepted my flaws, my true self, can i really move on and march bravely into the unknown future. That, i believe, will be my time of reckoning when i can face any life challenge with a smile and know that i am living with passion.

Should i past by Chinatown next time, ill definitely pay this gentle, friendly australian guy a visit. I vaguely remember a cosy small shop set up by a foreigner that resembles a small town bar with some nice music along Chinatown. Ahh...a mug of cold iced beer, a couple of nicely grilled sausages, a starry night sky in a cosy small shop with jazz music, plus a few of my best brothers and that special foreigner who brightened my perspective, that is life .....

Cheers to you Mr. Aussie guy! I might be visiting u soon. Get me a nice cup of beer and some sausages!!!

No comments: